Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Countdown 'til Christmas ~ Day 10/Still Time for Thrifting

Even though this is a busy time of the year, it is still nice to find a few moments for thrifting. It was so cold here, Saturday. I believe it was in the mid 30's that morning, but still many vendors braved the cold to set up shop at the local flea market.

I browsed quickly, and found a few bargains. First up, the little hard plastic vintage deer was so tacky, he was cute! :) {$1.00} Tucked him into a Christmas vignette on top of a cabinet.


The crystal bowl below was a bit of a splurge by thrifting standards, $10.00. But it is rather heavy and large, ....and the pictures do not do it justice. It is a beautiful piece. The lady that sold it to me is one of my favorite vendors at the flea market. She is a super sweet person and always has great glassware, mostly older pieces.
I walked away from the angel below, once, and later circled back through for a second look. Just couldn't decide on her. She is a ceramic piece, made by someone named Kathy in '94. Ceramics remind me of my Grandma B., who loved painting them. When the seller said she was 50 cents, how could I resist?

Linking up to Second Time Around, at Diane's Blog, A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words!
Be sure to visit her for more thrifty treasure finds! ~Rhonda :)
Luke 2:10-14 (New International Version)
10 But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." 13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14 "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhonda! What a sweet little deer! Love seeing your pretty home at this festive time of year!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

onlymehere said...

Your saying about the deer being "so tacky, he's cute" reminded me of a saying my mom always said. She used to say that some was "so ugly it's cute." Sometimes I find myself using the same phrase. I can't believe you still have outdoor vendors this time of year! You did brave the cold for NC. We've warmed up a little bit but our highs aren't even hitting 30 degrees for the day. Brrrr. If you happen to see any raccoon slippers in a men's size 11 let me know okay!

jeanne said...

Rhonda, your thrifty finds are terrific. I would have bought the little deer for sure. The crystal bowl is gorgeous and a real nice size for my family fruit salad recipe. Last the angel is sweet too. A great price for all that beauty. My mother-in-law loved to paint ceramics.

Happy thrift finds to you.

Hugs, Jeanne

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love that little deer Rhonda!

I was a Brownie scout leader in the 1970's. One Spring all the leaders, in our town, put their troops in ceramic classes. We had lots of fun. I made a pitcher and bowl during that time.

Merry Christmas!

onlymehere said...

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! When I go on break I'm making some calls! I hadn't even thought of hunting stores. I'll let you know how my search ends up!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Rhonda...

Thanks for stopping by for a visit today...I really enjoyed your sweet note!

My friend, I have just spent that last few minutes going through all of your Christmas posts...Ohhh my goodness...your home is gorgeous in all of its Christmas finery!!! Your tall tree is awesome...sooo beautiful! Girl, I love your home...it's fabulous!!! I sure got a kick out of your honey's John Deere tree in his study! That's just too cute! hehe! Ohhh...and I also just loved your pretty Christmas soup tureen with the red cardinals! Girl, what a great treasure find! It's been such a joy taking a tour through your fabulous home and all of your beautiful Christmas decor!!!

Warmest wishes and Christmas blessings to you and your family, my friend!

Chari @Happy To Design

Monogram Queen said...

I'm awful I still haven't really done the inside of my house yet except for the tree and maybe two other small things. What am I waiting for? Christmas? LOL

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a sweet little deer and I love the tree and the candles and the madonna, too.

Okay, I declare your house done. Time to come help your poor magpie friend who hasn't done the first THING! ;-)

XO,

Sheila

ThriftyAnnabella said...

What a cute little deer!

Unknown said...

You sound just like me...there's something about 50 cents that makes just about anything hard to resist!

Love your treasures..you have a way of making anything look expensive!

And thanks so much for linking to 2nd Time Around!

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel